Wednesday, February 8, 2012

All is well...

I don't know what people did before anxiety pills. I haven't looked much into the history of Alzheimer's disease, but, according to an extremely brief google search, it is something that has been described throughout history.

I'm not one to say what is normal in Grammy's case, but since I've been here she has needed 3 anxiety pills a day. As I've said, she gets one in her morning pills when she first wakes up and in her bedtime pills, which she takes before she goes upstairs to sleep. They took her off the third, noon time, pill because it made her too tired during the day. As Elsa said, she would give it to her if she asked for one during the day.

It's interesting how the pill will affect her fatigue. In the morning it doesn't seem to bother her too much, she's up puttering around all morning. The afternoon pill does seem to have a pretty strong affect on how tired she is. Yesterday she took a little nap after she had her pill and after Judy's visit, which wears her out. At night time she takes the pill and seems to sleep soundly throughout the night.

So, to return to my initial thought, I don't know how people dealt with it pre-anxiety medication because it seems like she needs it. Otherwise she'd be living in a (almost) constant state of tension, anxiety and paranoia. Maybe people just didn't live old enough for it to be a constant problem. Anyway, thank god for this bit of medical science.

Grammy on the pill is so pleasant and Grammy without it is sad and stressful. While we did have that bad attack on Monday, yesterday she was totally fine and so far today she's doing great. She's still pleasant and funny. She still complains about food and being cold. She still does the dishes almost constantly and sweeps the floor rather often. She still puts all of the dishes in the wrong cupboards. Everytime I cook she still says, "I need to learn how to cook" or "You should teach me your recipes."

Another Grammy story: Apparently over the weekend Grammy did some yard work. She loves raking and I guess she got some serious raking in. Fast forward to me throwing out some recycling today and discovering that both the trash bin and recycling bin are halfway full of leaves. I asked Sue why there would be leaves in the bins and she said that Grammy had been raking and probably put all the leaves in the bins...even though Sue told her that the leaves had to go into brown bags and NOT the trash bins. We resolved the problem by having Sol take out and repack the leaves. But it's another case where it's interesting to see what she is capable of and what just doesn't connect anymore. She was able to complete multi-step tasks, know to put the leaves in the trash, but just not that there are specific bins for different things.

In many ways living with Grammy is like being a part of the movie, Groundhog's Day. She's like Bill Murray and I'm like someone else in the movie that he comes into contact with everyday. It's as if the elements of the day is the same every time and she can vary how she approaches them. Depending on her mood she can make the day a little happier or a little sadder, but when she goes to bed, she wakes up and starts all over again with just a vague memory of what happened the day before.

In order to keep things fresh, the past couple of days we've been doing a lot of new cooking. The first try in the bread maker was a success-- one 2lb. loaf that we ate up in the past 3 days. Today I put in a new batch called "white country bread" that had a slightly different recipe. It's great. Sol made a pasta burina recipe with penne, tomato sauce, mushrooms, peas and bacon for dinner a couple of nights ago for my birthday dinner that he cooks me every year. Last night I made mashed sweet potatoes with sweet-n-spicy pork chops (chiptole in adobo sauce + orange marmalade). OMG it was sooo good. Both of these recipes came out of the cookbook that Sol's parents got for me for my birthday, The First Real Kitchen Cookbook. I just received another new cookbook from my friend Vicky, The Pioneer Woman Cooks, which I look forward to exploring after I get a little more comfortable with complex recipes.

I've also been getting my fix of tv...but remember that I only get the most basic of basic channels at Grammy's house. It must be the package for old people who can't remember what they've seen before. It's literally just cbs, nbc, fox, abc and tbs. The rest are weird non-brand tv channels that don't really have anything on it. And now I'm willing to admit that I'm that person that sits through the entire hour long weigh in session on Biggest Loser eating cool ranch doritos and drinking a gin and tonic after 9pm. Yeah...it's good to be young.

Grammy quotes (note, Grammy quotes should be imagined with a shy giggle):
"Well they certainly fit him well."--Her reaction as we were watching the Super Bowl and David Beckham's commercial came on. I explained to her that this is a famous soccer player and he has a new underwear line coming out.

"Even if I feel nutty, I should feel happy that everything else is good."--As we were watching The Revolution, a show about the overall health makeover of this woman who had cancer.

12 comments:

  1. Reading your words is kind of like living the last few years with my mother all over again, except I didn't spend 24/7 with her like you do. Although the memories leave me with mixed feelings, your writing makes good reading and I look forward to each new post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linds, I know your mom was alone sometimes, but could she cook some or at least heat up what may have been left for her? Did she know to eat? Did she know how to use the phone? I know there are difficult memories to go along with the good, but I would like to know as much as I can about what other people went through. I joined an AD support group to get some insight.

      Delete
    2. Hi Elsa,
      Tried answering this last night and had all kinds of problems. Joining the AD group was probably a good idea - I attended a series of 4 seminars that gave me an idea what to expect and how I could help make things better for both of us.
      My mother lost her ability to put meals together several years before she died. She started heating microwave dinners in the toaster oven (which meant taking the oven away) and if she actually got them in the microwave, would either heat them too long or not long enough (time became another non-concept). She also put together very interesting combinations of food/drink - she didn't really seem to recognize what she was eating, only if it tasted good/bad to her. If she got hungry, or knew it was probably time to eat, she would try to put something together, but the last year or so someone fixed all of her meals and sat with her while she ate, either myself or the caregiver.
      She had lost her sense of smell years ago - I walked into the house one day and smelled gas. She'd accidentally turned one of the burners on (gas only, no flame) and didn't realize it. That's when all the burners got taken off. I don't think she couldn't taste food because of that lack of smelling, so it wasn't a big priority.
      We got her a telephone that had photos for us rather than numbers but I don't think she ever used it to call anyone. If she realized the phone was ringing before the caller hung up, she'd answer the phone.
      Machines became something she couldn't deal with - washing, dishwasher, almost anything electric. Like your mom, she liked to sweep and rake - things she had control over.

      Delete
    3. Her main concern was being useful and independent - she hated being taken care of and made frequent references to how she was the mother. Unfortunately I didn't always have the patience to pay attention to what/how she was feeling so we had some angry moments. The rest of it was mostly just frustrating because I never knew what I'd find when I got to the house - it was a new normal every day.
      As for the independence, that's a fine line between letting them do as they want and knowing they're safe ... as I sadly found out.
      I understand why the move is necessary. Just bear in mind that the reason she can do as much as she does is because she's familiar with her house and the area. Even though we tried to fix up my mother's new house like the other one, she wandered around it for weeks, trying to get her bearings. She didn't seem unhappy as much as just more confused and not feeling like it was her home. We continued taking her to her same aerobics class and same church, hoping to give her a sense of familiarity.
      She liked her caregiver fine but confused her with my sister. She didn't seem to mind having her around but would send her away when they weren't involved in anything (like meals or going to aerobics). Of course I didn't know that and ended up paying the caregiver for hours she didn't work. I don't think she really knew who we were, just that we were important to her and, most of the time, enjoyed having us around.
      My mother took 3 medications for the dementia - Galantamine (also known as Razadyne), Namenda, and Lexapro. Lexapro was an anti-depressant, which may be like the anti-anxiety pill you all are talking about. She started out on Aricept years ago, but quit taking it because it caused her to have nightmares.
      The scariest thing that happened was when she lost total control and just started screaming, sobbing, and rocking back and forth. Every now and then it happened at the house but mainly when she was out and felt something wasn't right - when we first came to look at this house, at the doctor's office, at aerobics when the bus hadn't come pick her up (we tried the city handicapped bus for awhile). Like your mother, mine was always calm and quiet, so these outbursts were very unusual for her. She couldn't always articulate what was bothering her so this let us know something was really wrong. Other than that, she pretty much accepted/did whatever we told her.
      Don't know how much all this helps but I'm glad to talk about it. Our blessing is not having had to deal with it as it grew worse ...

      Delete
    4. Thank you Linda! It sounds like my mom, except for the outbursts. Not sure how I will handle that.

      Delete
    5. Linda--thanks for your insight. It is helpful!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Ems. I am glad when I can read things that make me laugh! I feel so bad that I can't be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words definitely leave me with a warm and comforting feeling, rather than stressed even though I know how stressful it can be when you are spending so much time with Grammy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em, I would just leave the leaves where she puts them. The garbage truck is automated and does it really matter what can she uses. It stresses her out when she can't remember which can Sue told her to use. I told her not to worry about it and to just throw the garbage out. Sounds like some yummy bread. Grammy likes a good bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are able to take a full breath again. Hey, I tried that pork and sweet potato recipe from that cookbook myself before I sent it to you. Yes, yum!!! Looks like you have a new hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you finally figured out where the Pioneer cookbook came from! I know Jo's friend Nancy from OK (living in VT) got one, so she was my only suspect. Grammy has always liked food - bread peanut butter, ice cream, chocolate, those spicy Doritos. The leaves and the trash cans have been an issue with her for awhile! But she sure loves raking, and has always been a gardener!

    (I'm just reading this post after the most recent)

    ReplyDelete