Thursday, February 2, 2012

Bra saga cont.

Today Sol and I are going to leave to go to New York for the extended weekend to celebrate my birthday. Elsa is on her way to Grammy's house to stay with her for the interim. And, boy, I'm going to leave her with a little list of issues to deal with :)

This morning Grammy came down, as usual, with complaints about her clothes. Once again, her bra was at the center of the problem. She had her hands rifling around under her sweater and she said that her bra wasn't fitting right. She doesn't recognize most of her clothes anymore, and in spite of this, she manages to dress herself pretty well. Except this morning she told me that her bra was "up here" motioning to her upper breast plate, and her boobs were "down here" pointing to her stomach area. I admit I was a little distracted anyway, but I also decided "no thank you" and told her she should just take off her bra. I wasn't about to deal with that. So she did, right there on the couch.

Then fast forward to me begin distracted for another hour and Grammy is walking back through the living room with her bra bunched up in her hand and she's shoving it back up her shirt saying "I guess I'll just keep this up here." I told her, "Grammy, why don't you just put it in your pocket." Then she thought, "Oh that's an idea." And so I'm like, 90% sure that she put it in her pocket. I can't say that I actually saw her do it and now who knows where it is. I'm hoping she put it back up in her room. Caretaker fail.

Otherwise, we solved the anxiety pill problem (hopefully). We have a weekly pill box with the optional extra pill in it so we can keep track of which days she is taking it. Yesterday I had her take a pill at noon to see if it prevented any later-day anxiety. I think it helped. The reason why they stopped giving her a lunch time pill is that they cause drowsiness and she is already pretty tired all the time.

It seems like it is definitely a difficulty. For the past three nights, she's wanted to go to bed at 6pm. I would prefer her to stay up until 8pm, but I will give in and let her go upstairs at 7:30pm if she really wants to. I think I have 8pm in my mind from listening to the routine that she had going on with Sue and Elsa before I arrived. I'm not one to judge going to bed ridiculously early-- while we were hiking, we'd sometimes get in the tent at 6:30 or 7pm, whenever we were done with dinner and just wanted to lie down. It was no problem to lounge in our sleeping bags for a full 12 hours every night. I'm sure Grammy feels the same way. It is just difficult to tell how much is her wanting to "get out of our way," which isn't at all necessary.

She knows that Sol and I are leaving for the weekend and that Elsa will hang out with her during that time. She was really happy when I told her this morning because she said that we are young and shouldn't be sitting around her house all day, and that-- get this --Elsa can because all her kids are grown up and out of the house. Because Elsa "has less to do" than we do. Haha. Ok, Grammy.

5 comments:

  1. You just told me the bra story an hour ago and here I am with tears rolling down my face because I'm laughing so hard reading the story all over again. I hope those new bras show up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got her to get it on proper. "Sue bought this very expensive thing" a bra :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for who the hell needs to wear a bra anyway--especially if u r hanging at home. I did laugh though ! Have a great bday weekend Em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a happy Happy birthday. Go Pats!!! Ya, burn those bras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete