Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Let's see...

Let's see...
I arrived home to CT at about 9:30pm last night from Madison, WI. I spent the long weekend there as a prospective grad students at UW Madison. My mom visited with me, and we checked out the area through Monday. It was a good trip, even if it was cold!

Now I'm back home with Grammy and Sol and all is well. While I was gone Grammy visited the doctor with Elsa and got a new prescription to deal with her anxiety attacks. It will take a bit to build up in her system, so it's been a little bit of an experimentation period with how much to give her of her old anxiety pills as the new one builds up. I think that by the time I got back it was mostly figured out. She still needs some of the old ones to get through the day and sleep through the night, but after a week or so the new stuff should be kicking in.

Grammy's day started out with Sue coming over a little before 7:30am to check on her. When I got up at about that time, Sue had Grammy taking a shower (but not washing her hair). Then we all hung out until nearly 8:30am when Sue had to start working. Then Grammy did a bit of yard work (collecting leaves) and I put in an "express loaf" of onion and potato bread.

At about 11am, Judi (Grammy's home care worker) came over and the guys from Home Depot came and delivered a brand new dish washer for the kitchen! Grammy still had the original dish washer from when they moved in, in 1979, and it didn't work anymore. The delivery guys were very quick, and then Grammy and Judi hung out for the normal 3 hours.

Meanwhile, Sol got a call from the auto shop that his car was fixed, so we went to pick it up! It needed a new clutch and a new part to the transmission, along with plugging a couple of leaks. It was in the shop for about a week, so it was great news that it was ready for pick up.

In the afternoon, Grammy hung out and watched Keeping Up Appearances with me, and at about 3:30pm Sol and I went for a run. Within a minute after we left, Grammy walked over to Sue's house asking for an anxiety pill. As soon as she realizes she is alone, she feels strong anxiety.

When I got back from the run (I went for an extra lap after Sol), Grammy and I met at the intersection in front of her house, both walking up and both surprised to run into each other. She was out walking to get "some fresh air" and I was walking off the run. We walked together up the street and back, but she managed to come back inside and stay for the rest of the night.

We made some pasta with delicious store-bought turkey meatballs in sauce, and an interesting arugula, kale salad with whatever vegetables we had around. Sue came over and we all ate together. Then we made strawberry daiquiris and hung out. Overall, it was a nice day back. It is nice to have a "home base" and I enjoy having out with Grammy (and she always enjoys people being around).

Grammy speaks:
"She's so sentimental!" --Grammy talking about Elena upon hanging up the phone with her. I don't know what they were talking about, but whatever it was left Grammy talking about how sentimental she is. She even went so far as to say that at some point her and "my mom" (she called Sue my mom all day) were talking about moving South, where it would be cheaper to live, and she thought it would be good if they could live closer to Elena.

Grammy photos:

Grammy and I taking a selfie together, trying hard to make it enthusiastic!



Making penne with meatballs and salad (I'm wearing the deliciously warm scarf knit by my friend Allyza for my birthday)


Grammy and I in the kitchen preparing dinner


Grammy chopping vegetables for our dinner salad


Grammy on the phone with Elena before dinner

1 comment:

  1. Sentimental slob...

    I thought there had been a new dishwasher somewhere along the way, although I know this one has been useless for a long time. The stove/oven is original.

    ReplyDelete