Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Grammy's Birthday

Today started off with a surprise birthday breakfast courtesy of Sue. I heard some doors closing and opening and thought that Grammy was shuffling around. It was still pretty early so I stayed in bed. Then I heard Grammy talking and I figured she was talking to her cat, but then I heard Sue. When I walked down I found Sue and Grammy feasting on some fantastic pancakes and fresh fruit. It was so cute :) I think Sue should do that every morning so we can all start our days on a positive note. Then the cutest part is at the end of the meal, when Sue was leaving to start work, Grammy gave her a little kiss and a thank you. It's less cute because Grammy woke up with a fat cold sore on her lip...so she may have given Sue the germs. haha. But in all seriousness, for as much as Grammy complains that she doesn't like people taking care of her, she definitely does appreciate it. Every night when I walk upstairs with her, turn on her tv and put some toothpaste on her toothbrush for her she says "thank you" as I leave her for the night. It's so sweet.

Today Grammy seemed to have enjoyed her visit with Judy again. At least she feels that way as soon as Judy leaves, but it's probable that by the end of the day she'll be back to complaining that she has to come. I came in the room at the end of the visit and the two of them were talking about the family. Then my dad came up in the context of family members who are Jewish. Then Grammy brought up the story from when my dad was the family's paper boy in Maryland and Grampy would come out of the house to check to make sure his paper was delivered on time every morning. She laughed that Grampy just did that to tease, he actually liked him. Haha. I've heard the story from both of my parents as well, so it clearly left a mark on everyone.

We've also gotten a record amount of phone calls today, but mostly because everyone is calling to wish a Happy Birthday, which she seems to have enjoyed.

I managed to get her to sit for a photo with all of her birthday cards. Unfortunately there is bad back lighting, but at least we have a record of when she turned 81.



You'll be happy to know that THREE of you got Grammy the exact same card (my mom, Kristen and Cathey). It's a good one-- a Vday and Bday combo.

Grammy (and other) quotes:

"That animal hasn't budged, are you sure it's not dead?"- She said this after Rico had been sleeping on the chair for about an hour.

"Emily Hernandez Goldstein and 4 other friends posted about the Grammys"-- My friend texted me that this is what her Facebook feed told her on Monday.

"It's just so terrible when they have the littlest... If they're going to have boobs have them or shut them!"-- Watching Rihanna's dress at the Grammy's on Ellen today. She disapproved of the low cut dress.

"I've been standing around the door forever!"-- She told Mary Ann this on the phone. She meant that she'd been sitting next to the phone forever because so many people were calling her for her birthday. She definitely enjoyed the calls.

"I never thought in a million years that I'd get this old. But now that I'm here, it's not so bad."-- Grammy when we remind her that she just turned 81.

Sue shows Grammy her iPhone with a photo of our cousin Janie's dog up-
Sue: "Here Mom, here's a photo of Janie's dog."
Grammy: "Ohhh he's ugly..."
Sue: "Yeah, he's so ugly that he's cute"
Grammy: "Noo...he's just ugly. He looks like he's been on a bender." HAHAHA

5 comments:

  1. omg!!! I can't stop laughing over Annette's desription of my Moose "Noo...he's just ugly. He looks like he's been on a bender." LOVE it !!!! Give her a hug for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that Moose does look like he's been on a bender! That was so funny and it's making the tears roll again because I'm laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure I'll make a belated birthday call (and mailing of card) so the joy is spread out!
    Seems I also remember Tim Souwiene being the paper boy that got some of the same flak from my hard Dad!

    Happy Val & Bday all. This eve I went (with a female book club friend) to the local community college production of "The Vagina Monologues" A first for me, tho it's been around for years. Quite a few gents in the crowd.

    What Aaron did today is another story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG ! I thought Annette said BLENDER not BENDER !!! Now the tears are rolling down my eyes ! TOO FUNNY !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan , SO WHat did Aaron do ???? And how was the Vagina Monologues ? Love you !!!

    ReplyDelete